Ok. I do suck at the upkeep of blogs… But, believe me, if there was anything exciting to report, I’d be here in a jiffy! As things stand, though, I’ve been using my time to do some actual writing, instead of writing about writing! At the same time, I figured it was about time to give a quick update on how these first six months of chasing the dream have gone for me:
- Fully revised Book One of the trilogy I’m currently working on, including full rewrites of some parts after some extremely useful pointers from my beta readers.
- Polished, repolished and had alpha reader do one more read through to check for spelling, typos, grammar, inconsistencies, etc. Manuscript deemed “polished” at about the seventh draft, all in all.
- Minor revisions of Book Two of said trilogy. Will need more revisions before this book can be out to the betas
- Started full on crazy writing mode of “draft zero” of Book Three. (Draft zero = really, really messy first draft). It may be messy, it may be crazy…. But it feels good to write, to really, really write again
- Clocking in at about 5,000 – 6,000 words a day. Still no clue how anyone can get to 10,000 words a day. Between time limitations and wrist strain, that goal seems still unattainable for me. I have been known to do 10,000 – 12,000 words’ days, but they’re certainly more the exception than the rule.
- Have about four different versions of a query letter for the first book, peppered around about 25 agents at this point. Mostly have received form rejections, but I do also have two partial manuscripts out and two fulls out with agencies right now.
- Now that agents are back from Book Expo America (BEA), I’ll be getting ready to send the next round of queries.
- Continue to hope that the right person will see my query and read my stuff at the right time.
- Beta-read a fellow writer’s manuscript (met said fellow writer through the FANTASTIC, wonderful and incredibly helpful forums at Absolute Write Water Cooler)
- Currently madly typing out about 8 -10 pages of beta notes
- Offered feedback on about a half dozen query letter drafts posted on said fantastic, wonderful and incredibly helpful forums
Wow. And that’s on top of being a wife and puppy mum, struggling not to fully alienate my friends and feeding a flamenco addiction. So, I was feeling down about not having accomplished enough, but I think I am not doing too, too badly… I still have NO idea how I would have been able to accomplish a fraction of all that while still working full-time and doing all the other life stuff I need to do!
All in all, a busy half year so far… Can’t wait to see what the next few months will bring.